LOS ANGELES (NewsNation Now) — Britney Spears is under investigation for misdemeanor battery after an employee said the singer struck her during an argument, officials said.
The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office confirmed with NewsNationNow.com that the pop star was involved in a dispute with a staff member at her home Monday morning.
Capt. Eric Buschow, the department’s media relations officer, said there were no injuries, and the incident is very minor.
The Ventura County District Attorney will now need to decide if charges will be filed.
Spears’ attorney Matthew Rosengart said in an email to the AP that the investigation is “overblown sensational tabloid fodder — nothing more than a manufactured ‘he said she said’ regarding a cellphone, with no striking and obviously no injury whatsoever.”
“Anyone can make an accusation but this should have been closed immediately,” Rosengart said.
Spears has been in the spotlight recently as her legal team works to remove her father, Jamie Spears, from the conservatorship that controls her money and affairs. A document filed by her father’s attorneys last week said he is willing to step down as her conservator after “an orderly” transition.
- California firefighters scramble to protect sequoia groves
- New Jersey police officer caught baby thrown from balcony, officials say
- Radio: US launches mass expulsion of Haitian migrants from Texas
- Radio: Some districts take new ‘test and stay’ approach to minimize student quarantine
- Radio: Science not yet clear on general public’s need for COVID booster shot
The Associated Press contributed to this report.