New ‘Jeopardy!’ host Mike Richards steps down amid sexist comments controversy

Entertainment

(NEXSTAR) – Mike Richards has stepped down as the new host of ‘Jeopardy!’ just nine days after he was chosen to succeed Alex Trebrek.

The move comes after controversy over sexist comments he made on his podcast following a report from The Ringer.

Producer Sony Pictures Television announced the embattled host was stepping down from the role.

The company released a statement from Richards on Friday:

Sony Pictures Television also said Richards would remain as the show’s executive producer, according to Variety.

“Mike has been with us for the last two years and has led the ‘Jeopardy!’ team through the most challenging time the show has ever experienced. It is our hope that as EP he will continue to do so with professionalism and respect,” Sony said. 

Actor Mayim Bialik was also named as an emcee for “Jeopardy!” primetime and spinoff series, including a new college championship last week.

Latest News

© 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on NewsNationNow.com