(WJW) – Actor Val Kilmer speaks with a voice box in a trailer released for a documentary film about the actor’s life on Tuesday.
Kilmer was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2015.
The documentary, titled “Val,” is made up of video taken by Kilmer over the course of his life and career. The trailer description states: “Who is Val Kilmer? He’s Batman. He’s Iceman. He’s Jim Morrison. And he’s a lifelong filmmaker.”
Kilmer’s son, Jack Kilmer, narrates part of the film using his father’s words, Deadline reports.
In the trailer, he says: “I was recently diagnosed with throat cancer. I’m still recovering. And it is difficult to talk and be understood.”
Using a voice box, Kilmer himself says: “I’ve tried to see the world as one piece of life.”
Kilmer said he was one of the first people he knew to own a video camera, and that he has thousands of hours worth of film from his personal life and behind the scenes of some of his movies.
The documentary is set to premiere at the 2021 Cannes Film Festival.
It will also hit theaters July 23 and start streaming on Amazon Prime on Aug. 6, Kilmer tweeted.
- Here is where the COVID-19 omicron variant has spread
- COVID-19 omicron variant spreads to more countries
- November 28: The omicron variant raises concerns worldwide. And the Pistol Annies present a holiday record for our times.
- Pistol Annies craft holiday album for the not-so-sentimental
- Flood watches issued in Northwest as some are urged to evacuate