LATHAM, N.Y. (AP) — Officials in upstate New York say nine nuns at a convent have died of causes related to COVID-19 in just over a month.
An Albany County spokesperson says in a statement to the Times Union newspaper that officials are aware of the deaths among the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in Latham.
WNYT-TV reported earlier in December that 22 sisters had tested positive. The convent’s website says it is home to 140 nuns.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany says the convent is not ready to issue a statement.
Trademark and Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Latest coronavirus headlines
- Watch: Michigan COVID-19 nurse sings ‘Amazing Grace’ at National Mall memorial
- Bells and candlelight honor 400,000 dead from COVID-19
- US hits 400,000 COVID-19 deaths on eve of inauguration
- 3 more COVID-19 cases linked to Australian Open arrivals
- Treasury Secretary nominee Yellen urges Congress to do more to fight pandemic recession