WASHINGTON (NewsNation Now) — U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials received tough questions Friday on how the agency will determine guidelines for approving a vaccine.
Infectious disease experts pushed agency leaders on the process of collecting safety data and how they evaluate vaccine candidates.
FDA staff said they would gather opinions from experts before signing off on any particular treatment.
At least four companies are currently in late stage trials in the U.S.
Dr. James Baker is the director of the Mary H. Weiser Food Allergy Center at the University of Michigan. Dr. Baker was formally the SVP and worldwide Head of the vaccine franchise at Merck. He joined NewsNation to discuss the FDA hearings.
Watch the interview in the player above.
Latest coronavirus headlines
- 15-year-old Florida girl who beat cancer last summer dies of coronavirus
- Pre-Thanksgiving travel soars despite COVID-19 warnings
- Pennsylvania’s governor issues liquor sale cutoff for bars on Thanksgiving eve
- Man leaves $3K tip for a beer as Ohio restaurant closes due to pandemic
- California governor quarantines with family after exposure