MILWAUKEE (AP) — Clinicians had to discard about 500 doses of the Moderna vaccine after vials were kept unrefrigerated for too long at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton.
Advocate Aurora Health officials said someone removed 50 vials from a refrigerator to access other items and failed to put them back overnight Friday. Each vial contained 10 doses of vaccine.
An internal investigation found the failure was an “unintended human error.”
Clinicians were still able to administer some of the vaccines from the vials within the allowable 12-hour post-refrigeration window. Once the vaccine is thawed, it cannot be refrozen.
Trademark and Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Latest coronavirus headlines
- Watch: Michigan COVID-19 nurse sings ‘Amazing Grace’ at National Mall memorial
- Bells and candlelight honor 400,000 dead from COVID-19
- US hits 400,000 COVID-19 deaths on eve of inauguration
- 3 more COVID-19 cases linked to Australian Open arrivals
- Treasury Secretary nominee Yellen urges Congress to do more to fight pandemic recession