CUTLER, Calif. (NewsNation) — Target, Aldi and Wegmans are recalling fresh whole peaches linked to a salmonella outbreak that’s sickened at least 68 people in nine states.
At least 14 people have been hospitalized from the salmonella Enteritidis outbreak, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The recalls issued this week are for peaches supplied by California-based Wawona Packing Company. They include the following products:
- Aldi | Wawona peaches 2-pound bag | UPC: 033383322001
- Aldi | Organic peaches 2-pound bag | UPC: 849315000400
- Target | Item # 267-03-4038, Peach per pound | UPC: 492670340386
- Target | Item # 266-03-0010, Peach by the each | UPC: 204038000005
- Target | Item # 266-03-0002, 2 lb peach bag | UPC: 033383322056
- Target | Item # 267-50-4044, 2 lb organic peach | UPC: 849315000400
- Target | Item # 267-03-4405, White Peach per pound | UPC: 492670344056
- Wegmans | Peaches Yellow family pack, 2 lb | UPC: 77890-49048
The CDC said the investigation into the salmonella outbreak is ongoing and could lead to recalls at other retailers.
Aldi sold the peaches from June 1 until it pulled the products from its store shelves Wednesday. The company said the recalled peaches were also available through its partnership with Instacart.
While all of the illnesses happened from June 29 to Aug. 3, the CDC says the number of people sickened could rise because of a lag time between when they become ill and when their case is reported.
Minnesota has 23 confirmed cases connected to the outbreak, Michigan has 17, NewsNation affiliate WOOD-TV reported.
Salmonella infections typically cause diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps six hours to six days after someone is exposed to the bacteria. The CDC said the illness usually lasts four to seven days and most people recover without treatment. Severe cases are more likely in young children, people who are 65 or older and those with weakened immune systems.
Customers are encouraged to throw out the recalled peaches or return them to the store where they purchased them for a refund. Anyone with questions regarding the recall is encouraged to call Wawona Packing Company’s customer service center at 1.877.722.7554.