NEW YORK (NewsNation) — A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit by President Donald Trump that sought to block enforcement of a grand jury subpoena for eight years of his personal and corporate tax records.
U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero said that granting the relief would be an “undue expansion” of presidential immunity.
Trump’s lawyers immediately appealed U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero’s decision to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Marrero’s ruling echoes his prior decision in the case, which was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court last month. The high court returned the case to Marrero so Trump’s lawyers could get another chance to challenge the subpoena issued by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.
Trump, through his lawyers, has argued that the subpoena was issued in bad faith, might have been politically motivated and amounted to harassment of him, especially since the wording mimicked the language in congressional subpoenas.
In the Oval Office Thursday, Trump said the investigation has been a “fishing expedition” from the beginning.
“This is a continuation of the witch hunt — the greatest witch hunt in history — there’s never been anything like it where people want to examine every deal you’ve ever done to see if they can find that there’s a comma out of place. No president has ever had to go through this. The Supreme Court shouldn’t have allowed this to happen.”
Vance’s attorneys said they were entitled to extensive records to aid a “complex financial investigation” and they cited in their papers public reports of “extensive and protracted criminal conduct at the Trump Organization.”
Trump’s lawyers said that the request for tax records dating back to 2011 was retaliatory after the president’s company, the Trump Organization, disputed the scope of a subpoena seeking records from June 1, 2015, through Sept. 20, 2018.
Messages seeking comment on the ruling were left with Vance’s office.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.