Trump security adviser tests positive for COVID-19; White House says president not at risk

Politics

FILE – In this June 24, 2020 file photo, Robert O’Brien, assistant to the president for national security affairs, removes a face covering prior to speaking during a news conference in Phoenix. O’Brien has tested positive for the coronavirus. He’s the highest-ranking White House official to test positive so far. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) — President Donald Trump’s national security adviser Robert O’Brien has tested positive for COVID-19, but there is no risk of exposure to the president or Vice President Mike Pence, the White House said in a statement.

“He has mild symptoms and has been self-isolating and working from a secure location off site. There is no risk of exposure to the President or the Vice President. The work of the National Security Council continues uninterrupted,” according to the statement.

The White House has said staff is regularly tested for the virus, and O’Brien is the most senior official to be found positive amid the pandemic.

A U.S. military member who works at the White House as a valet tested positive for coronavirus in May as did Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary.

© Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020

© 1998 - 2020 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.