Jonathan Price tried to greet officer, reached for taser before he was shot, affidavit says

Race in America

Wolfe City (Texas) police officer Shaun Lucas. Photo provided by Texas Rangers.

WOLFE CITY, Tex. (NewsNation Now) — A probable cause affidavit obtained through the Hunt County District Clerk’s Office revealed more about what happened moments before Officer Shaun Lucas shot and killed Jonathan Price.

Lucas is charged with murder in Price’s death. The court document, written by Texas Ranger Laura Simmons, concludes there is probable cause that Lucas committed murder.

Price’s shooting death in Wolfe City on Saturday, Oct. 3rd, gained national attention as the dialogue about policing and race continues following other high-profile shootings where a white officer has shot a black civilian.

That night, Lucas, a white officer, was dispatched to a Kwik Check convenient store just before 8:30 at night for a “possible fight in progress,” according to the affidavit.

Simmons states she reviewed video from Lucas’ body camera to write the affidavit, which has not been released to the public yet.

Simmons writes that upon arrival, Lucas is “greeted” by Price, a Black man. She describes Price approaching Lucas saying, “you doing good,” multiple times, and extending his hand for what seemed like a handshake.

The document said, “Price apologized for broken glass on the ground and stated someone had tried to ‘wrap me up’.”

Lucas goes on to say he believes Price is intoxicated and tries to detain him. According to the affidavit, Price said, “I can’t be detained.”

Lucas continues trying to detain Price by grabbing his arms and using verbal commands with no success. Then, Lucas pulls out a taser and told Price he would tase him if he does not comply.

It states Price walked away, followed by Lucas using the taser on Price which has little effect. Then, Price begins walking toward Lucas.

“Price appeared to reach out and grab the end of Officer Lucas’ taser,” the document states.

Simmons writes that Lucas fired his gun four times, hitting Price in the upper torso. Price was later pronounced dead at the Hunt County Regional Hospital.

The last line of the court document states:

“Based on video evidence, physical evidence, and eyewitness testimony, it is clear that Officer Lucas did then and there intentionally and knowingly cause the death of Price by discharging a firearm causing the death of Price.”

Lucas’ attorney, Robert Rogers, said the next step will be for the case to go before a Grand Jury. No date has been set at this time.

Price’s relatives and friends said Price, a Wolfe City employee, was a figure well-known about the closely-knit community. The town has about 1,500 residents about 70 miles northeast of Dallas.

Price played football in 2008 for Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas. Hardin-Simmons football coach Jesse Burleson tweeted that the university “lost one of our own in a terrible situation. Jonathan Price was an awesome young man during his time with Cowboy football.”

© 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.