NY Mets fire general manager Jared Porter after ESPN report over explicit texts

Sports

NEW YORK (NewsNation Now) — The New York Mets fired general manager Jared Porter Tuesday after ESPN reported that he sent graphic, uninvited text messages and images to a female reporter in 2016 when he was working for the Chicago Cubs.

“We have terminated Jared Porter this morning,” Mets owner Steven Cohen announced on Twitter. “In my initial press conference I spoke about the importance of integrity and I meant it. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior.”

Porter sent dozens of texts to the woman, concluding with a picture of him exposing himself, according to the report. ESPN said it obtained a copy of the text history.

New York hired the 41-year-old Porter last month. He agreed to a four-year contract after spending the past four seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks as senior vice president and assistant general manager.

Prior to the announcement of Porter’s termination, Mets president Sandy Alderson had said they were unaware of the allegations prior to Monday night.

“Jared has acknowledged to me his serious error in judgment, has taken responsibility for his conduct, has expressed remorse, and has previously apologized for his actions,” Alderson said Monday.

“The Mets take these matters seriously, expect professional and ethical behavior from all of our employees, and certainly do not condone the conduct described in (the ESPN) story. We will follow up as we review the facts regarding this serious issue.”

Before his Diamondbacks tenure, Porter worked under Theo Epstein with the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs, winning three World Series rings in Boston’s front office and another with the Cubs.

The woman was not identified in the report. ESPN said she was a foreign correspondent who had moved to the United States to cover Major League Baseball. She ignored more than 60 messages from Porter before he sent the last vulgar photo, according to ESPN.

ESPN said it contacted Porter on Monday evening and he acknowledged texting with the woman. At first, he said he hadn’t sent any pictures of himself, but when informed the exchanges show he sent selfies and other pictures, he said “the more explicit ones are not of me. Those are like, kinda like joke-stock images,” ESPN reported.

After asking whether the outlet intended to run a story, Porter requested more time before later declining additional further comment, ESPN reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. All reporting by Mike Fitzpatrick.

© 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on NewsNationNow.com