INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indianapolis will host the NBA All-Star weekend in 2024, the league said Wednesday, formally rescheduling the plans for that city to be the site of the league’s midseason showcase this season.
Cleveland will play host in 2022 and Salt Lake City will do so in 2023, both of those sites and years previously announced. The next open spot on the league’s All-Star calendar was 2024, which now belongs to Indianapolis.
The league said “public health conditions prevented the Pacers, the NBA All-Star Host Committee and the NBA from appropriately planning and executing fan-focused All-Star activities in Indianapolis that were envisioned for this February.”
The new dates for Indianapolis’ All-Star weekend: Feb. 16-18, 2024.
“While we are disappointed that the NBA All-Star Game will not take place in Indianapolis in 2021, we are looking forward to the Pacers and the city hosting the game and surrounding events in 2024,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said.
The news had been expected for months. The league released hotel blocks for what would have been the 2021 All-Star weekend back in August and is in the process of finalizing a schedule for this season — which begins Dec. 22.
The league said it is planning to revise this season’s All-Star agenda, with those plans still to be announced.
Latest coronavirus headlines
- Rhode Island doctor accused of ‘recklessly’ exposing patients, staff to COVID-19
- Dallas County detects its 1st known case of COVID-19 variant
- Pakistan approves AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use
- ‘We want to sound the alarm’: CDC warns more infectious COVID-19 strain may become dominant in US
- India starts world’s largest COVID-19 vaccination drive
Trademark and Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.