NFL COVID: Indianapolis Colts reopen facility after multiple false-positive coronavirus tests

Sports

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA – SEPTEMBER 27: The Indianapolis Colts huddle up in the game against the New York Jets during the first quarter at Lucas Oil Stadium on September 27, 2020 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Justin Casterline/Getty Images)

INDIANAPOLIS (NewsNation Now) — The Indianapolis Colts said Friday that the four members who initially received positive coronavirus tests have been cleared after all members retested as negative.

The Colts said in a statement after they received the false-positive results, they consulted with the NFL and will be reopening their practice facility Friday afternoon.

The Colts first announced Friday morning that the team would be working remotely after several people within the organization allegedly tested positive for coronavirus. The practice facility was closed while the Colts confirmed the tests.

The Colts did not confirm who was involved or whether it was players, coaches or staff.

Sunday’s game between the Colts and he Cincinnati Bengals is still scheduled.

The team’s updated statement in full said:

Earlier this morning, we were informed that four individuals within the organization tested positive for COVID-19. The four positive samples were re-tested and have been confirmed negative. After consultation with the NFL and Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Allen Sills, the team will open the practice facility this afternoon under the league’s intensive protocol and will continue preparation for Sunday’s game against Cincinnati.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The Colts are the latest team to have issues with COVID-19. On Thursday, the Atlanta Falcons shut down their facilities after at least one positive coronavirus test. The Tennessee Titans and New England Patriots had games postponed and rescheduled due to positive coronavirus tests among players and staff.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell warned the league’s 32 teams in early October of penalties including potential forfeits of games for violations of COVID-19 protocols that force changes in the schedule.

Several coaches have been fined $100,000 each and their clubs fined $250,000 for improper use of face coverings.

© 1998 - 2020 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.