SOUTH BEND, Ind. (Reuters) — Notre Dame’s game against Wake Forest this weekend has been postponed after seven of the Fighting Irish players tested positive for COVID-19, the school announced on Tuesday.
“In consultation with the St. Joseph County Department of Health, the Notre Dame Football program has decided to pause all football-related activities until further testing is completed,” the school said in a statement. “Combined with last week’s testing results, a total of 13 players are currently in isolation, with 10 in quarantine.”
On Monday, 94 tests were administered to Notre Dame football student-athletes with seven returning positive.
No rescheduled date was set for the game, which was due to be played this Saturday.
“We knew COVID would present challenges throughout the season, and we’ll always put student-athlete health and safety at the forefront of our decision making,” said Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. “We look forward to resuming team activities and getting back on the playing field.”
The game is the latest of several in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) that have been postponed due to COVID-19 positive cases.
© Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020