The six-women USA Gymnastics delegation of Simone Biles, Sunisa Lee, Jordan Chiles, Grace McCallum, Jade Carey and MyKayla Skinner worked out on each event during podium training on Thursday.
The American women are staying in a hotel near the venue rather than the Olympic village, a decision made before they arrived for the Games.
U.S. gymnast Kara Eaker is doing well physically but remains in isolation three days after testing positive for COVID-19.
Annie Heffernon, the vice president of the women’s program for USA Gymnastics, said Eaker is in isolation while teammate Leanne Wong is in quarantine.
Both athletes served as alternates for the U.S. team. Wong, who continues to test negative, was put in quarantine due to contact tracing.
“I mean, we’re devastated for them,” Heffernon said. “Of course, it’s not anything we dreamed of happening or wanted to happen. And it was a rough 36 hours, I’m not going to lie. It was difficult for everybody. It was hard for me. It was hard for the athletes. It was hard for the staff.”
- ☀ July 30: Seafood gets pricey and toys could be scarce
- Limited availability, high demand send seafood prices skyrocketing
- New Russian lab briefly knocks space station out of position
- Texas deputy AG apologizes to Simone Biles after calling her ‘childish’ and ‘selfish’
- Kimmann, Shriever win BMX racing gold; American Fields stretchered off