TOKYO (AP) — A horse that refused to jump dashed the hopes of gold medal contender Annika Schleu in the Olympic modern pentathlon.
Schleu, of Germany, was leading the contest after two events, but in the showjumping event, she was allocated a horse that had no interest in jumping the fences.
Competitors are randomly assigned horses for the event and expected to bond with them quickly.
The gold medal went to Britain’s Kate French after she held off a challenge from Lithuanian Laura Asadauskaite in the final event, the laser run.
Sarolta Kovacs won bronze for Hungary.
- Jackson released from Chicago facility after COVID recovery
- Where’s my September child tax credit payment? Some are reporting delays
- Biden meeting with Democrats as $3.5T plan faces party split
- Fed: On track to slow support for economy later this year
- Garth Brooks says he’s playing dive bars instead of stadiums because ‘the dive bars are vaccinated’