At least 3 employees injured, suspect killed by police in Tennessee warehouse shooting


ANTIOCH, Tenn. (NewsNation Now) — At least three employees were injured and a suspect was shot and killed by police in a warehouse shooting in Tenessee early Tuesday morning.

Metro Nashville Police said they were called to the Smile Direct Club warehouse in nearby Antioch just before 6 a.m. local time.

Police confirmed at least three of the people injured during the shooting worked there. Two of the victims were security guards employed by Allied Universal Security while the third was an employee of SmileDirectClub. One was in critical condition as of Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The suspected gunman fled from the building after the shooting before police approached them. Authorities confirmed to NewsNation affiliate WKRN that the suspect was shot by police outside of the warehouse after refusing to drop the weapon. The suspect was taken to a nearby hospital where they later died.

Public affairs manager Don Aaron confirmed that the suspected shooter worked at the warehouse for a “short period of time” and used a semi-automatic pistol with an extended magazine. Police later confirmed the suspect was a 22-year-old man who started working at Smile Direct Club in June. He also worked there from late 2019 to early 2020.

He was identified as Antonio King, of Nashville.

Police said they believe he acted alone.

The officers who fired at the gunman were identified as Officer Dylan Ramos, who joined the force in October 2019, and Officer Cherell Kinchloe, who joined the force in August 2020.

A witness told WKRN she was walking into work when she saw the man come from around the building and begin firing a weapon, shooting out the front doors of the building.

The area around the warehouse is closed to the public.

Smile Direct Club released a statement regarding the shooting, which said in part:

“Smile Direct Club is saddened at the shooting that took place at its manufacturing facilities this morning. The incident was contained quickly by security personnel on site. The safety of our team members is a top priority for our Company and we maintain strict security protocols and a no-weapons policy at all of our facilities. We are working with the local police as they investigate this matter.”

This story is developing. Refresh for updates.

NewsNation affiliate WKRN contributed to this report.

Latest News

© 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on