AUBURN, Ala. (NewsNation) — An Alabama teenager is being hailed a hero for saving his four younger siblings from a fire at their home.
13-year-old Kounte Threadgill and his mother, Amber, smelled fire inside their home Aug. 26.
“When I looked into the room, I saw smoke behind the dryer. When I opened up the door, flames just burst out,” Amber said.
When a fire extinguisher didn’t stamp out the flames which began to quickly spread, Amber began to panic.
“I just don’t even know how to describe it; the flames engulfed the whole hallway. At this point, my 2-year-old was running back and forth, and I couldn’t get to her and we started screaming,” said Amber.
After Kounte ran through the fire and grabbed his younger siblings, Kish, 6, Koa, 5, and Kountess, 2, helping them escape outside, he went back inside the home to rescue brother 3-month-old Kross.
“I had to run as fast as I could into mom’s room and get him out too. Everyone was out at that time, and I was the last one out with the baby. I didn’t think, I was just acting,” said Kounte.
All family members were safely outside when the Auburn Fire Deparment arrived. Sgt. Ben Royston revisited the home on Monday to check on the family.
“We all think you are a hero, you stepped up, and it was scary for anyone, even firefighters,” Royston told Kounte.
The Sgt. told NewsNation affiliate WRBL, “At first, it was hard to believe, then we saw his pajamas, and they were scorched up a good bit. I think he showed extraordinary bravery and courage. When he’s 18, we told him he could come to see us about a possible job.”
Kounte attends Auburn Junior High School and shared with WRBL that he dreams of one day becoming a pediatric hematologist and was worried about losing one particular possession in the fire — his calculator.
“What he wanted was his calculator, so we did find that for him, and we were happy to do it,” said Sgt. Royston.
The fire department and Auburn Mayor Ron Anders plan on honoring Kounte at future ceremony. Meanwhile, a relief fund has been created to assist with the family’s property losses in light of the family’s lack of fire insurance coverage.
NewsNation affiliate WRBL contributed to this report.