Memphis woman killed, child in critical condition after family says they were using generator inside

Mid-South

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (NewsNation Now) — A woman is dead and a child remains in critical condition at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide inside their East Memphis apartment.

Memphis firefighters evacuated the small apartment complex near Getwell and I-240 early Thursday morning because of a possible carbon monoxide leak.

A woman and her young grandson were both found unresponsive by the child’s mother.

Relatives said they had been using a generator inside their home because they couldn’t afford utilities. They couldn’t say how long the family had been without power.

Neighbors said they had no idea the woman who died had no power and if they did, they would have done something to help.

“Please be careful with those generators,” said neighbor Veronica Skinner. “It’s just like you can’t light a grill inside your home. You will die.”

Safety experts say never use a generator indoors or in an enclosed space that can capture deadly levels of carbon monoxide.

© 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on NewsNationNow.com