Police say at around 6:50 p.m. New Year’s Day, officers were dispatched to the Grand Hyatt Hotel on Broadway for reports of two men base jumping for the roof top bar.
When officers arrived on scene, hotel security told them the two men were guests at the bar. While they were at the bar, the men reportedly approached the ledge and jumped over it.
As they jumped over the ledge, patrons grew scared and began screaming. As the patrons looked over the edge of the building to see where the men ended up, they found them parachuting across the road to an adjacent parking lot.
Once they landed in the parking lot, they got into a parked vehicle and drove away.
Security told officers the jumpers were possibly guests at the hotel and may have returned to the location, but it was not confirmed. The hotel and bar told police they would contact law enforcement if they needed more help.
Latest coronavirus headlines
- Austin man plants a flag for every Texan lost to COVID-19: ‘It’s become a memorial’
- Authorities bust underground ‘superspreader’ parties across Los Angeles County
- Military nurses, COVID tests coming to help hard-hit Arizona county
- WHO: ‘Not right’ to vaccinate young before old
- After allergic reactions at 1 clinic, California pauses use of large batch of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
Security said there was video taken of the incident and that they would turn it over to police.
The two base jumpers have not been caught.
This is a developing story. Refresh for updates.