In February, a Department of Human Services Child Welfare Specialist contacted the Edmond Police Department about severe neglect of an 8-year-old boy.
At the time of the caseworker’s visit, the child stood just over 3-feet tall and weighed 30 pounds.
Officials say he wore size 3T clothing, which is the size of the average 2.5-year-old, according to the World Health Organization.
“His stomach is distended, yet he is extremely skinny, and his skin is sagging,” the case worker reported.
- With 200,000 in 1 day, India moves past 14M virus cases
- NY Philharmonic gives 1st concert with audience in 13 months
- Homeless Americans getting a chance at COVID-19 shot
- Fatal police shooting at Ohio hospital caught on officer bodycams
- ☀ April 15: Another night of MN protests, Supreme Court shake-up, and a fugitive beefalo
The caseworker took the 8-year-old to Children’s Hospital, where a doctor said, “At a minimum, this case is medical neglect, possibly shocking and heinous.”
The child was immediately placed in DHS custody.
Following an investigation by the Edmond Police Department, investigators learned that the child had only gained six pounds in seven years.
Police arrested 36-year-old Akemi Cox and her fiancé 61-year-old Valerio Garcia on two counts of child neglect.
As of March 19, DHS says the child is doing well and had gained over 15 pounds in foster care.