INDIANAPOLIS (News Nation/WXIN) — Residents woke up Sunday morning to find the Black Lives Matter mural in downtown Indianapolis defaced with white paint.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department says they are investigating the incident.
Buckets of white paint were found at the scene.
“The vandalism of the Indiana mural is yet another example of how white supremacy seeks to disrupt and de-center Black joy,” said Black Lives Matter Indianapolis on Twitter. “We will not be distracted or discouraged by the cowardice of people who feel threatened by Black liberation and its laborers.”
The mural was completed August 3 on Indiana Avenue between Blackford and West streets.
The project has been in the work for several months, with local artists pitching in. Those participating said the mural is a way to spread their message of equality and hope in central Indiana.
- United Methodist conservatives detail plans for a breakaway
- Third stimulus checks: Will we get $1,400 payments in March?
- From teen immigrant to NASA engineer: How Diana Trujillo is leaving her mark on Mars
- Gas prices edge closer to $3 a gallon, hit highest level since pandemic began
- North Carolina man gets revenge on porch pirate with spicy warning