CHICAGO (AP) — A man apparently ambushed after being released from the Cook County Jail suffered as many as 64 bullet wounds to his head and other parts of his body, police said.
The shooting Saturday night killed Londre Sylvester, 31, a police report said. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Sylvester had “just been released” from custody after being fitted for electronic monitoring and was walking to a waiting vehicle when several suspects “exited two separate vehicles and all began to shoot in Sylvester’s direction, striking him numerous times,” the police report said.
The suspects reentered their vehicles and fled the scene, police said.
A 60-year-old woman who was with Sylvester was shot in one of her knees and was hospitalized in good condition, police said. A second woman, in her 30s, suffered a graze wound to her mouth, police said.
- Experts ‘strongly encourage’ pregnant women to be vaccinated against COVID-19
- Target to require masks for workers in areas with substantial COVID risk
- SoulCycle, Equinox to require proof of vaccination for all customers and employees
- RSV: what is it, and why are child cases surging in the wake of COVID-19?
- Tuxedoed groom accused of shooting 2 in wedding night dispute during traffic jam