MADISON, Wis. (NewsNation Now) — Hospital staff are being forced to add coronavirus patients to waiting lists as facilities fill up across Wisconsin.
The state recorded 27 deaths on Wednesday, which is the highest daily death toll since the pandemic began.
The latest hospitalization numbers show doctors are treating a record 646 people statewide.
More than 200 of those patients are in the intensive care unit.
The Wisconsin Health Services Secretary said if cases don’t level off, patients may be sent to a 530-bed field hospital that’s set up just outside Milwaukee.
Latest coronavirus headlines
- More than 240,000 Navajos apply for tribal virus relief funding
- Florida woman battling COVID-19 details permanent damage to her limbs
- New restrictions to take effect in Los Angeles County as COVID-19 cases spike
- PM Justin Trudeau: Canadians won’t be among the first to get vaccine
- HHS looking at mid-December for COVID-19 vaccine distributions to states