HAMPTON COUNTY, S.C. (NewsNation Now) — Nearly three months after his wife and son were murdered in an unsolved double homicide, prominent South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh was wounded in a shooting in Hampton County.
Murdaugh’s family friend and attorney Jim Griffin, tells NewsNation affiliate WSAV that he was shot in the head while changing a tire. He was transported to MUSC Health University Medical Center in Charleston. His condition is unknown.
Officials with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) confirmed they’re investigating a shooting in Hampton County. SLED was called to assist the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office in its investigation around 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
SLED said that the Hampton County Central Dispatch received a 911 call from Alex Murdaugh who said that he had been shot on Old Salkehatchie Road near Varnville, South Carolina, WSAV reported.
Alex Murdaugh is the father of Paul Murdaugh, 22, and the wife of Margaret “Maggie” Murdaugh, 52, who were found dead on their family property in Colleton County on June 7.
SLED, however, could not confirm that the investigation involves Alex Murdaugh.
Police say they found at least seven shell casings at the scene. Police have not released any details on possible suspects or motives.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information is reported.
NewsNation affiliate WSAV/WCBD contributed to this report.
- ☀ September 26: An Amtrak train derails. And Hurricane Sam is upgraded to Category 4, and it’s getting stronger.
- Tony Awards and TV special hope to be the jab Broadway needs
- Petito case renews call to spotlight missing people of color
- ‘Mr. Baseball’ in the front row at last: Brewers honor announcer Bob Uecker for 50 years behind mic
- With poll numbers down, Supreme Court justices insist they’re not ‘political hacks’