(NewsNation Now) — A bartender in Florida helped police crack an arson case after he recognized one of the suspects because he didn’t leave a tip when at the bar earlier that night.
Police in Key West released a webcam video showing men setting fire to a Christmas tree, which led to thousands of dollars in damage to the city’s landmark buoy, which was right in front of it.
After a bartender saw the video, he recognized one of the men had ordered drinks from him earlier that night and had not left a tip. He and his manager pulled receipts from that night and watched their own security video to identify the suspects.
Investigators then arrested a 21-year-old from Texas and a 22-year-old from Florida on charges of criminal mischief.
City workers have restored the buoy, which marks the southernmost point of the United States.
- Feds to unveil plan to fight inflation
- Florida dad has world’s fastest stroller-pushing mile run
- Researchers: Shark attacks increase after 3 years of decline
- RFK Jr. apologizes for Anne Frank comments at anti-vaccine mandate rally
- Elton John postpones farewell concert dates after testing positive for COVID-19