Lockdown lifted at DC military base, one person in custody


WASHINGTON (NewsNation Now) — A military base in the Washington, D.C. area went on lockdown Friday afternoon after a report of an armed person was spotted on base.

Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling announced an all clear had been given once a person was detained and transferred to Washington Metropolitan Police Department’s custody.

They added that first responders were still monitoring the situation and would release more information as it becomes available.

Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling posted a note on its Facebook page around noon EDT Friday that the base was being placed on lockdown due to a suspicious person. The notice said the person was spotted on the south side of the base.

“If you encounter the individual and have a safe route, RUN. If you do not have a safe route to run, HIDE. Barricade your door, turn off the lights and your cell phone ringer, and remain silent,” the post said. “If you are hiding, prepare to FIGHT.”

MPD said officers were responding to a report of shots heard near the base when the suspect ran onto the campus. Police said they had no reports of any shooting victims.

The 905-acre base in southeast Washington houses Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard units, along with the Washington field office of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the headquarters of the Defense Intelligence Agency. The base also serves as the forward operating station for Marine HMX-1, the presidential helicopter squadron.

Just last week, a Pentagon police officer was stabbed to death after a burst of violence at a transit center outside the building. A suspect was shot by law enforcement and died at the scene. In that violence, the Pentagon, the headquarters of the U.S. military, was temporarily place on lockdown.

This is a developing story. Check back soon for updates.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Latest News

© 1998 - 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on NewsNationNow.com