Fort Bragg Twitter account deleted after hack leads to lewd messages

Southeast

FORT BRAGG, NC – JANUARY 04: U.S. troops from the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division arrive at Green Ramp as they head out for a deployment to the Middle East on January 4, 2020 in Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Soldiers from the Immediate Response Force of the 82nd are part of the approximately 3,000 troops being deployed as tensions increase with Iran in the region after a U.S. airstrike killed top Iranian General Qasem Soleimani. (Photo by Andrew Craft/Getty Images)

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (NewsNation Now) — Fort Bragg’s Twitter account was deleted Wednesday after it said a hack led to lewd messages being shared from its official account.

At 4:25 p.m. and then 4:59 p.m. Wednesday, the military base’s official Twitter account responded to an adult content account. Then, at 5:23 p.m., Fort Bragg said its account had been hacked.

“We apologize to our followers. We have secured our account and [are] looking into the manner,” the now-deleted tweet said.

The entire account, which had nearly 60,000 followers, was deleted shortly after the announcement of the hack.

A Fort Bragg spokesperson said the account was taken down for at least 30 days due to the report of a hack.

NewsNation affiliate WNCN contributed to this report.

© 1998 - 2020 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.