HOUSTON (AP) — A Houston police officer has died and another was injured Monday morning during a shooting that also killed a 31-year-old man who the officers were attempting to arrest, authorities said.
Both officers were shot while attempting to serve an arrest warrant at a home in an apartment complex in the city’s northeast side around 7:30 a.m., Mayor Sylvester Turner said during a news conference. Authorities didn’t identify the man the officers were attempting to arrest.
“This has been a tragic day today,” Turner said. “It is another reminder that police work is inherently dangerous.”
Police Chief Troy Finner said the other officer is in stable condition. The shooting is being investigated by the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.
- How to catch a wanted man using psychology, former fugitive on life on the run and remembering Colin Powell
- Texas lawmakers pass new congressional maps bolstering GOP
- Radio: LA County wants Vanessa Bryant, others to undergo psych exam before lawsuit goes to trial
- Radio: Gabby Petito’s family said they want ‘vengeance and justice’
- Radio: Colin Powell dies of COVID-19 complications, family says