SPRING, Texas (AP) — A Texas water park says a chemical exposure that sent dozens of people to hospitals was caused by “improper installation” of a water filtration system.
Six Flags officials said Wednesday that a third-party service company improperly installed the system at Hurricane Harbor Splashtown, causing pool-sanitizing chemicals to be released in an outdoor kiddie pool area on July 17.
“We have determined that the vapor release involved a low-level mixture of the pool-sanitizing chemicals which was discharged from the bottom of the pool through the water filtration system,” said Jason Freeman, Six Flags Vice President of Safety. “The vapor was well below any reportable quantity.”
About 30 people were hospitalized as a result, and 200 people have joined a lawsuit against Six Flags, which owns the water park, the Houston Chronicle reported. Those who fell ill complained of headaches, vision problems, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and sore throats.
Six Flags did not identify the company that installed the system. The park was reopening to the public Thursday.
© Copyright 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
- Searching for Laundrie, deporting thousands of migrants, and social media’s impact on Petito case
- ‘I would pay attention to someone like Matthew McConaughey’: Poll compares possible Texas governor race candidates
- Brian Laundrie’s disappearance adds confusion to case, former FBI agents say
- No more quarantine for kids? School districts try ‘Test and Stay’ COVID-19 testing model
- 14 hospitalized, 3 in critical condition, after Pennsylvania bus crash