Army beats Navy 15-0 at Michie Stadium


WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — Tyhier Tyler scored on a 4-yard run early in the fourth quarter, the Army defense stoned Navy with a goal-line stand in the third, and the Black Knights beat their archrival 15-0 on Saturday at fog-shrouded Michie Stadium.

It was the first meeting between the teams at West Point since 1943. The game was moved to Michie Stadium from its customary site in Philadelphia because COVID-19 regulations in Pennsylvania would not have allowed the Corps of Cadets and Brigade of Midshipmen to attend.

The Black Knights (8-2) posted their first shutout in the series since a 27-0 victory in 1969 and have won four of five against Navy (3-7). They had lost all three games played previously at West Point to the Midshipmen, including 13-0 in 1943 during World War II.

Navy still leads the series 61-53-7.

No fans were allowed, so there wasn’t much of a home field advantage for the Black Knights. When the game began the Mids and Cadets were seated in groups on different sides and behind both goalposts, and the stadium literally shook after President Donald Trump conducted the coin toss and the Mids won.

President Donald Trump throws the coin in the air before the start of the 121st Army-Navy Football Game in Michie Stadium at the United States Military Academy, Saturday, Dec. 12, 2020, in West Point, N.Y. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

Army had three weeks off to prepare after its game Nov. 7 against Air Force was switched to next Saturday because of COVID-19 concerns in and around the Air Force academy. Navy was coming in off four straight losses.

Xavier Arline started for Navy, just the fifth freshman to start at quarterback for the Mids against Army. Tyler, who had played in four games prior to Saturday, made his second straight start.

Army went up 3-0 on Quinn Maretzki’s 37-yard field goal early in the second quarter, set up by Tyler’s 28-yard completion to Tyrell Robinson, just the second completion of his career.

Tyler scored after a Navy turnover, the only one of the game, and Daryan McDonald tacked on a safety late in the fourth when he tackled Navy wide receiver Mark Walker in the end zone on a reverse.

Maretzki added a 40-yard field goal.

Arline sparked the Mids right after the second-half kickoff, and that’s when the game turned. He gained 11 yards on first down and then ripped off a 52-yarder, crossing the field from right to left. Only a saving tackle by Cedric Cunningham at the 2 prevented a touchdown and it proved crucial.

When two runs netted nothing, Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo called timeout. The Army defense then rose to the occasion, with senior linebacker Jon Rhattigan stopping Arline inches of the goal and linebacker Amadeo West stopping Nelson Smith on fourth down. It was the eighth tackle of the game for West, a career high.

Neither triple option offense got untracked as fog descended low over the field. The teams headed to the locker room at halftime having combined for five first downs and 132 yards on 44 plays.

© 1998 - 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on NewsNation

Elections 2022

More Elections 2022