Federal buildings in Portland closed after car-bomb threat made

West

FILE – In this July 31, 2020 file photo, Black Lives Matter protesters gather at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse in Portland, Ore. At least two federal buildings in Portland have been closed and the FBI is investigating after a threat of violence was reported, the officials said Friday, Aug. 21, 2020. Investigators are trying to determine whether the threat is credible, the FBI said in a statement. The Mark O. Hatfield Federal courthouse, which was the site of weeks of violent protests last month, was closed, as was the Portland office of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. (AP Photo/Noah Berger, File)

PORTLAND, Ore. (NewsNation) — Multiple federal buildings in Portland are closed Friday after a car bomb threat was made, officials said.

The Portland office of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court was closed because of a threat of violence in the area, according to the court’s website. Also closed was the Mark O. Hatfield Federal courthouse, which was the site of weeks of violent protests last month.

The threat, which was received Thursday, warned of the intention to use a car bomb to target federal property in Portland, according to two law enforcement officials. The officials could not discuss the investigation publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Several child care centers near the federal buildings are also closed for the day. The lobby of the bankruptcy court will not be accessible to the public. All services are available remotely.

The FBI is working to determine the credibility of the threat and are in contact with local authorities.

The FBI encouraged anyone who has information to submit a tip online or call (800) 225-5324 or (503) 224-4181.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 1998 - 2020 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.