The boy, identified by a family friend as Jasper Wu, was riding in a Lexus sedan on the freeway Saturday afternoon when the car was struck by gunfire, the California Highway Patrol said in a statement. The boy was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed to the gunshot wound.
A CHP spokesperson said dispatchers began receiving calls about a shooting on the freeway around 2 p.m. on Saturday.
A family friend told NewsNation affiliate KRON4 the boy was riding from San Francisco to his home in Fremont with three adults and two other children when he was shot. The boy’s mother was driving the car.
The CHP shut a section of the freeway to investigate, and the evidence suggests the victims were not targeted but got caught in the crossfire, the statement said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Lawsuit claims Bank of America helped Murdaugh launder money
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s third accuser testifies at trafficking trial
- Starbucks loses bid to delay union vote at 3 New York shops
- Nick Cannon says his 5-month-old son has died from brain tumor
- More Americans living alone as milestones slip to later in life