Search suspended for migrants missing off Florida Keys

Hurricane Ian

US Coast Guard personnel evacuate an injured man in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in Matlacha, Florida on October 1, 2022. – Shocked Florida communities counted their dead October 1, 2022, as the full scale of the devastation came into focus, two days after Hurricane Ian tore into the coastline as one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the United States. (Photo by Ricardo ARDUENGO / AFP) (Photo by RICARDO ARDUENGO/AFP via Getty Images)

(NewsNation) — The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for 16 migrants who are still missing after their boat capsized off the Florida coast during Hurricane Ian. Two bodies had previously been recovered.

“Crews suspended the search for the 16 missing people pending new information,” the Coast Guard tweeted Sunday.

A boat carrying Cuban migrants capsized and sank Wednesday just hours before Hurricane Ian made landfall in Florida.

The U.S. Coast Guard initiated a search for 27 people and managed to find three survivors about two miles south of the island chain, officials said.

Officials said a total of nine were rescued and two bodies have been recovered.

© 1998 - 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Trending on NewsNation

Elections 2022

More Elections 2022