Attacker with sword kills two, injures five in Quebec stabbings

World

A Police truck is parked near the National Assembly of Quebec, in Quebec City, early on November 1, 2020, after two people were killed and five wounded by a sword-wielding suspect dressed in medieval clothing. – The suspect, “a man in his mid-20s,” was armed with a sword and dressed in “medieval clothing,” Quebec City police spokesman Etienne Doyon said during a press briefing. The man, who was not identified, was arrested shortly before 1:00 am and had been “transported to hospital for evaluation,” he said. (Photo by Jordan PROUST / AFP) (Photo by JORDAN PROUST/AFP via Getty Images)

QUEBEC CITY (NewsNation Now) — Two people were killed and five wounded after being stabbed by a man dressed in medieval clothes and wielding a sword, Quebec police said on Sunday, noting the attack appeared to be driven by personal motives and not linked to any terror group.

Police arrested a 24-year-old man from Montreal early on Sunday morning, Quebec Police Chief Robert Pigeon said at a news conference.

“Dressed in medieval costume and armed with a Japanese sword, everything leads us to believe he chose his victims at random,” Pigeon said, adding that preliminary information indicated the man was not affiliated with any terror group.

Pigeon said the suspect had come prepared to inflict as much damage as possible but did not elaborate. Quebec newspaper Le Soleil said the suspect had gasoline containers in his car. Pigeon declined to comment on the report.

The two people killed were identified as 56-year-old Francois Duchesne and 61-year-old Suzanne Clermont.

The five injured victims were taken to a hospital. “Some have very significant lacerations but we do not fear for their lives,” Pigeon said.

The incident began late Saturday night, on Halloween, inside the city’s famed walled center. Police told nearby residents to stay indoors and made an arrest after a three-hour manhunt.

“It is once again, and we believe, an isolated act,” Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume told reporters. “We need to have a societal debate on the subject (of mental health) because it is becoming more and more difficult to manage.”

In 2017, a Canadian man gunned down six members of a Quebec City mosque and was later sentenced to life in prison.

Quebec’s police chief said on Sunday that the suspect had spoken of conducting an attack “in a medical context” five years ago but was not known to police and did not have a criminal record.

Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume said Canada needs to have a debate about how to deal with mental illness. He said the attack has shaken the city, which is still recovering from a shooting at a mosque in 2017 that killed six people.

“Quebec is waking up after a night of horror. Words fail me to describe such a tragedy. I offer my condolences to the families of the victims,” Quebec Premier Francois Legault tweeted.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

© 1998 - 2020 Nexstar Inc. | All Rights Reserved.