PARIS (NewsNation Now) — Paris’ Eiffel Tower was evacuated Wednesday after a phone-in bomb threat.
Paris police briefly evacuated all tourists inside the French monument after an anonymous caller told law enforcement a bomb had been placed there, according to an official with the tower’s management company. The official was not authorized to be publicly named.
The streets below the tower and the bridge stretching across the Seine River to Trocadero Plaza were blocked off to the public early Wednesday. The barricades were lifted about two hours later, and an officer at the scene told The Associated Press that police found no signs of a bomb.
A local journalist shared photos with NewsNation showing law enforcement near the tourist attraction, which sees nearly 7 million visitors in a normal year.
The Paris landmark reopened to the public in late June amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
This is a developing story.
The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.