LISBON, Portugal (AP) — An international police operation has nabbed cocaine with a street value of around $232 million on a yacht in the Atlantic Ocean, authorities said Monday.
Portuguese police said the seizure was the largest in Europe in recent years and the biggest in Portugal for 15 years.
Police localized and intercepted a 79-foot yacht at sea, a statement said. They boarded it and found 183 bales of cocaine on board.
Police suspect the cocaine belonged to an international drug-trafficking gang that was bringing cocaine into Europe through the Iberian peninsula.
Three men were arrested and taken to Portugal.
The operation involved police from Portugal, Spain, the Drug Enforcement Agency in the United States and the United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency.
This story is developing.
- New York City poised to give voting rights to noncitizens
- Jack in the Box to buy Del Taco in $575M deal
- December 7: Why did shooting suspect go back to class? Most mispronounced words announced.
- Authorities pursue deceased alleged serial killer’s cold cases
- School shooting suspect and parents in same jail; Baldwin’s life after ‘Rust’ tragedy